Friday, July 24, 2009

Aqua- pa-what??

This weekend in my part of the country we will be partying at Aquapalooza. What's that you may ask. Well, it's a weekend filled with events on Lake Martin that kicked off yesterday afternoon- and would you believe I was right there to help kick it off.

Last night one could enjoy live entertainment and a picnic on The Lawn at Russell Crossroads. I thought this was a great idea... lots of people, picnics, and a beautiful sunset. What more could a person ask for?

I get off work at 4:30 so I immediately headed on down to Russell Crossroads to enjoy the festivities. Would you believe when we got there, there were only two other people there?



(My parents and a family friend, Melinda)

It was cracking me up. The live entertainment started at 3:30... and in a small town, or any town for that matter, is a little early considering most people aren't off work until 4:30 or 5:00 on a Thursday afternoon. However, we didn't hesitate... we tossed out our quilts and sat on down to enjoy some good music by Jonathan Bloom of the Robin Hill Band.



Slowly but surely more people did arrive, as it neared sunset.



In case you wondering... Russell Crossroads is a new development on Lake Martin- when I say new, I mean it's a work in progress. It already has a fancy restaurant called, Springhouse, and a market/diner called, Catherine's Market, which is really neat. Russell Crossroads also has a Discovery Center, which is a museum about the Lake Martin area and an Adventure Center.




The Adventure Center caught my attention big time last night... and I was making plans for Ryan and myself without abandon. At the adventure center you can rent bikes, canoes, kayaks, and even horses. Trails have recently been made so that you can bike, or horseback down to the lake. I mean seriously, are you kidding me? I'm so ready to do any one of these activities.



But I digress.. back to the picnic- the kickoff to the big shabang, which is Aquapalooza! Today there will be a digital scavenger hunt on the lake, which I'm sad not be taking part in. A boat tour of one of the newer development of lake homes will be going on all day today. Finishing up with a concert at The Lake Martin Amphitheater tonight.




But the real fun, the fun that is bringing an estimated 15,000-20,000 people to Lake Marin, begins tomorrow! Alan Jackson- you may know him... he's kind of a big deal country crooner. Yeah him.... the one that sings that song about it being hotter than hoochie choochies on the Chattahoochee... YES- OK... now that you're with me... He will be playing tomorrow afternoon right here on Lake Martin. The concert is FREE but only accessible by boat. It's should be a "good time"!!



Don't stress out if you aren't able to make it out for the event... I am pretty good friends with Alan and should have a full report on Monday.


(this is either Alan and myself at an event or really bad photo shop of my head on his wife's body... I'll let you decide)

Have a Happy and Safe Weekend.

1 comment:

Lacey said...

hahahaha!!!! You were Alan's date to the CMT awards last year?!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin