Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Healthy Stuff

I feel the need to share a few healthy items or food I've recently discovered.

I'm not a health nut by any means. I more of a "I wish I looked like this super model but pass the Doritos" kind of gal.

But in the last couple of weeks I've discovered a few healthy lifestyle goodies that I think I should share.

First up, Quinoa. Now, I realize lots of people probably eat this on a weekly basis. It's probably old news to many, but like I said I like Doritos and cupcakes... all in moderation but that's where my heart is.

I love cooking and I'm always looking for healthy recipes to try out for Ryan and I. Ryan just goes along with me.

Back on track-- I saw a blog post where two trainers were stocking up on health food at Whole Foods before a trip. The photo they shared of their grocery cart contained a Quinoa and Black Bean Salad. I was intrigued.

A little research via Google and I was on my way.

I tried out this recipe which is only 74 calories per serving when cooked as directed.

That might look gross in the pic, but it was on my  phone. Trust me. It is good!

I did make a couple of substitution. I used chicken broth instead of vegetable broth, added a red bell pepper for more color, some chicken,  and chopped up an avocado for added yummy-ness.

I was unsure of where my culinary concoction would take me, but we ended up in a good place. Ryan and I both loved it. In fact, that's what I'm having for lunch today! Raise the roof if you love a healthy recipe that is also delicious and filling!!!

My next healthy discovery was the iPhone App Fooducate. While grocery shopping this week I was having difficulties deciding eactly which type of Oatmeal (High Fiber or Weight Control) was really better for me. I was tyring to compare the labels, which in all honesty who knows what the heck is going on with the labels. I'm good with serving size and calories, but you lose me with additives and stuff.

So there I was studying away when a lady tapped me on the shoulder and said, "Hey. I think you would love this app. You can just scan the bar code and it will rate the product for you."

Awesome. I had it downloaded in a matter of minutes. 

Scan the bar code.

It gives you a Grade for the product as well as the reason it ranked high or low. 

I was sad that this one got a C, but the great thing is  that I can just  click to see "alternatives" and it gives me different, healthier options.

I may or may not have scanned the majority of items in our pantry that night.

And my last new healthy product is my new shampoo and conditioner. How is that healthy? Well, it says on the bottle it's 100% Vegan. So that's healthy right?

I recently read an article that stated naturally curly hair tends to frizz due to all the sulfates in the shampoos we use. Who knows if it's true, but I rushed and bought L'Oreal's Sulfate Free Bodify Shampoo and Conditioner.


I have had one person tell me my hair looks great, but I think it's because it was freshly washed  that day (as opposed to a few days old) But I like to think it was my Juniper and Mint Sulfate Free Vegan Shampoo.

Keep it healthy, America. (or at least semi-healthy)

I'm off to scan the Greek yogurt I packed with my Quinoa for lunch while allowing  my Vegan hair to flow freely.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin