Tuesday, January 5, 2010

The Holidays- Part 2

For Ryan and I to be so different in so many ways, we do have some common ground. An example of something we share is he and I were both born right after Christmas. Now, if you are not someone who has a birthday right after Christmas then you do not know what that means.

Allow me to explain... Birthday gifts should never be wrapped in Christmas paper. Would I give you a birthday gift wrapped in Easter paper if your birthday landed in the same month as Easter? No. I wouldn't. Another thing that makes a birthday after Christmas a little tough is that you can pretty much bet that a good portion of your friends haven't gotten back into town from Christmas holiday or they have already left town for New Year's.

Now, I must say that my friends tend to make a great effort in celebrating my birthday. Never a huge crowd, but I embrace it all the same.

So my birthday is on December 27, which fell on a Sunday this year. Making the best of the situation we decided to celebrate on the Saturday night before. The restaurant I wanted to eat at was closed... still on holiday if you can believe that. Didn't they know it was my birthday??? So we took it on over to a new mexican restaurant here in town for a few margaritas.





After dinner the folks who weren't too tired from all the holiday festivities (huh uhh) came back over to Ryan's for a mean game of Taboo.



[side note here: Taboo is so fun. I love it. You should go out and purchase this game right now]

Ryan's birthday is December 30... he tends to lose birthday attention to New Year's Eve, as it is the following night. Bless his heart... he can count on me feel his pain. In an attempt to make his birthday special I called up the few friends who were in town and made reservations for dinner (at the restaurant I tried to go to on my bday). 



At dinner I told Ryan to order anything he wanted... Go Big, I told him. Have as many drinks as you would like... because mama's paying for this one. I even celebrated big myself, by ordering whatever I wanted- it was a party after all and I was paying! Sadly, however, when the check came... I realized that I didn't have my wallet! Oh no. I ran out to the car- no sign of it. I went back in, with my head held in shame and told Ryan I couldn't find it. Sadly he purchased his own birthday dinner. (and I don't think he's going to let that one go for a while) I felt terrible about it, but we pushed through (and I later located said wallet).



Once we had officially celebrated our two birthdays, it was time to celebrate the coming of a New Year (or is it the ending of an old one?).  We were invited to join several of our friends in Florida, but Ryan and I felt as though we shouldn't spend that extra money. At first this made me a little sad. It was going to be the first year I hadn't been on a fun-filled adventure to bring in the New Year in a long time.

After some much needed coaching... I came to terms with it. I began to embrace it even. I decided to have a party at Ryan's with several of our closest friends. Alana (pictured below with red hair) and I headed to Party City to stock up on supplies such as confetti, noisemakers, party hats, and so forth.



We even took the time to strand lights all over the place. I called Kyle and told him to hook us up with some narley fireworks and told everyone to arrive around 7:30pm.



We had so much fun, and to be quite honest it felt great not to have to drive four hours or spend lots of money. I might embrace low-key New Year's celebrations from now on....



With this New Year I hope for big things. I hope for new careers for some, for others I hope for them to find their way. I hope that some find true love this year that will last a lifetime. I hope for others, good health. For Ryan and I 2010 will always be a special year. It will forever be the year we got married. It will be the first year we lived together [we have got to get the other TV working properly for us to survive], the first time for lots of new things and for that I am excited.



Here's to 2010 y'all!

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin