Monday, February 27, 2012

O.T.W>- First 5K.

Over the Weekend...

I completed my very first 5K. To most people this doesn't seem like a huge deal, but I felt like it was an accomplishment. As I mentioned Friday, I work out at my local gym, run on the tread mill a few times a week, and do the occasional class, but I've never been brave enough to actually enter any type of race until this weekend!

Saturday morning came quite earlier as I hopped out of bed for a my morning cup of coffee and a bowl of oatmeal. Ryan got up with me to give me a pep talk and sent me on my way!


Deidra joined me as it was her first 'race' as well. We got to Russell Crossroads around 8 am, stretched it out, pinned on our numbers and eagerly awaited the cannon to sound signaling the start of the race.


It was so much fun! The energy of the crowd kept me pumped up and I just moved at my own pace. The hills proved to be a bit tough, but Deidra and I had talked about the impending hills and decided it was best to take long strides and take them at a steady pace. (like we really have any idea)




I had to stop twice to tie my shoe. I know, I know... ROOKIE MISTAKE. (double knots next time) and between mile one and the turn around I had to walk it out for a minute(the hills got me), but after the turn around I found my second wind and brought it on home.

My mom and Deidra's mom were waiting for us at the finish line!! It was so much fun I would definitely do it again.

After the race we went to the after party/award ceremonny which was hosted at The Stables at Russell Crossroads, where they had a grits bar, sweet potato soup, a band, and even a couple of kegs. That was reason enough to run in my opinion!

#1 FANS!!
Several of my good friends completed either the 10K or 5K as well. Hayden (in the hat below) even placed first in her age group.



For lunch, Deidra, her mom, my mom and I eased over to Catherine's Market.


It was an awesome day with awesome weather and good company.

I'm officially a racer!

1 comment:

Ali Sanford Lilly said...

I love your #1 fans. I'm one too.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin