Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Tuesday's with Harley: Under the Weather

You read it right. Mr. Harley is not feeling well at all. It all started yesterday afternoon. I got home and realized that he was acting kind of funny. Just not his normal self. All he wanted to do was lay around.

As the night progressed Harley kept getting worse and worse. I didn't like it at all. I was worried and there was nothing I could do to make it better.

Around eight o'clock last night he started shivering so I covered him up with blanket but that didn't stop it. I decided right then that I was going to call the emergency vet number. I mean, I pay a ridiculous amount for my dog to go to the vet once year for all his updates, why should I hesitate to harass the doc on her personal time. So that's just what I did. However, no one answered. I left a polite message and requested that she return my call.


An hour went by and Harley was even more pitiful. At this point he was whimpering. It was so sad.

Around nine fifteen the vet called me back. I explained Harley's symptoms. She told me that he need to come in first thing this morning.

Harley and I were the first ones in the door at her office this morning. I told HarleyI loved him and left him there... scared and in pain. It just broke my heart.

I couldn't really focus on any of my work this morning because I kept thinking about him. By lunch I still hadn't heard from the vet's office so I called them. So much for waiting. I was ready to know something.

Come to find out Harley has thrown his back out (the vet had a more advanced name for it). The vet said that this is common among small breeds that jump off of the furniture i.e. beds, chairs, couches. He is on pain meds for the next two weeks and limited to his kennel for the next two weeks as well unless he's being held or walked. He's not going to like the latter part of the instructions the vet gave.

When I picked him up he was so happy to see me. It was a long night. I'm so thankful he's going to be okay.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin