Friday, August 14, 2009

Just a Swingin'

I find myself browsing the design blogs and longing for a beautiful space. I'm not an interior decorator by any means, but I know what I like. I took a "Style Quiz" today via HomeGoods and it declared at the end of the ten questions that my style is "Country Casual."

It stated, "Your home expresses your open, easygoing approach to life. You love unique finds, and can turn a few mismatched garden chairs or floral teacups into a charming arrangement. You appreciate a pretty mix of relaxed pieces, like painted wood or weathered furniture, lovely florals and other patterns, lots of throws and pillows, mementos and bunches of fresh flowers that give your home a unique sense of breeziness and charm.

You value comfort. Your home is a warm and open friendly place, and you feel happiest when everyone is cared for and relaxed in your space. Elements like pillows, throws, overstuffed furniture, and good lighting set the mood. You may also enjoy layering different fabrics or mixing patterns to create a cozy effect."


For the most part this is probably true. I don't know if I have any floral teacups sitting around, but maybe I should go buy some. Who knows? I can only hope that one day my home will be warm and inviting, filled with fresh flowers and throw pillows... but currently I just dream of those things.

Right now I have Ryan's house that I wish I could do tons of things to... but it's not "mine" and funds are limited so I haven't been very aggressive. However, I do have one portion of the house that I would love to spruce up. It has to do with the curb appeal. Currently, Ryan's front porch is lacking. I bought a front porch swing and have planted some flowers in terracotta pots, but it needs more.

The swing is unfinished wood. It needs to be sanded down a little bit and either a)stained or b)painted. I haven't been aggressive with this because I have been so torn. The day I bought the swing I planned on painting it white, but after purchasing the swing I have had MANY opinions tossed my way and most of them say not to paint it white because it will require more up keep in the future. So I don't know what to do.

I have lots of ideas for the front porch... I think the windows need shutters, preferably black, the front door needs a new coat of paint, and maybe even a rocking chair. I would love to put up an outdoor fan, but for now it's the swing that's got me...

Here are some porches with white swings (I love them all):






and now a couple with the 'natural' look:




Last, but not least, the actual swing:




What do you think? (Keep in mind the porch its self is natural... it's not white and it hasn't been stained- but it could be white or stained.) Should I paint the swing white? or stain it to keep the 'natural look'?

Please Help ME!!!


If you would like to take the HomeGood's "Style Quiz" check it out at: http://www.homegoods.com/hghq_quiz.asp

Several pictures via Desire to Inspire (see side bar) and the others are from in and around the web that I had in my "inspiration folder" Please let me know if you recognize any of the photos so that I can give due credit.

1 comment:

Lacey said...

Hey!!! I think...paint it! Or if you want to leave it brown, at least stain it!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin